Monday, November 29, 2010

I have always thought the actions of men the best interpreters of their thoughts. ~ John Locke

Sisters

We were the best of friends. I remember one fight and one instance where I said one horribly mean thing. I still feel bad about it, by the way. She....? remembers more. I think she made some up.
She was the one I could confide in about ANYTHING. She was my mommy a lot of the time...and still is, no matter how much I try to buck her mothering.
She was incredibly sweet and in any argument where I was trying to get my way, all I had to do was ask a few more times and she'd give in. 
^Ty                  at summer camp                  ^Taj
We were and are as apposite as two can get. It is almost always inevitable...she likes something...I dislike it, and vice versa.
 She was a pretty, girly girl who had a purse at the age of 6 (and actually had things to put in it! I was like 16 when I started carrying a purse and could never find anything to put in it. Now I carry a big tote AND a purse!)
 She wore make up at the age of 13, I was a tomboy who had grass stained knees and tangled hair.
Her side of the room was always immaculately clean, mine was incredibly messy. In fact, we would be laying in bed at night...I think this was before we divided the room...I had, like always, taken my clothes off and left them on the floor. She told me to get up and put them in the hamper. I, of course, said no and that I would do it in the morning. We would argue back and forth about it, her exclaiming in frustration that she couldn't sleep knowing clothes were just lying on the floor. She would always get up and put them away.

 We took turns turning off the light every other night. I would often convince her that I had done it the night before, knowing full well this was her fourth night in a row to do it...I...sound like...no...I...WAS...a horrible kid! Ok, enough with the stories.
I always thought our kids would be great friends, living close by, they would play together often.
I wish life had turned out that way.

 I desperately wanted another girl and right away. I wanted her to have the same kind of wonderful friend I had, and to our surprise we got one. And here is where their story begins....

Haddie loved Jenna even while in my belly and was elated to see and hold her for the first time.
 

She was enthralled with this new tiny person.

   Incredibly tender and sweet with Jenna, Haddie takes the big sister role very seriously. Haddie is always "taking care of" Jenna. She disgustedly yells, "mommy! mo!" pointing to the milk dripping out of Jenna's mouth while I'm holding her. Other times, when Jenna is on the floor or in her bouncy seat, Haddie picks up Jenna's shirt collar with her pointer finger and thumb, being sure to stick the other fingers way out to avoid touching the offending, white slime, she wipes at it mumbling disgustedly under her breath, "mo, mo." until Jenna is all clean.
By Teeter Photography
By Teeter Photography
 Jenna is very patient with Haddie's lovin' and boy, does she love her.
By Teeter Photography



By Teeter Photography
 They are my little sleeping angels and I can't wait till they are old enough to sleep together. I loved that I shared a bed with my sister most of my childhood.

Haddie loves it when they share...even...if it isn't free will on Jenna's part.
The roles have already been established.
"Reading" to her little sister
For some reason Haddie doesn't think it's ok for Jenna to chew on her hands. She is usually more adament about it, telling her no several times, making sure Jenna understands her. To Haddie's great frustration the hands usually go right back in the mouth.

Haddie often "gets" high fives from Jenna.


Haddie wants to hold Jenna all the time. Apparently I sit indian style often because Haddie will take her leg and lift it way up and plop it on her other one. Then she pats her legs saying "hol, hol" She holds her for all of two seconds before she lets go of her to sign all done. Jenna of course immediately flops over every time
Decked out in their BSU bows watching the game :)

3 comments:

  1. I was getting misty eyed and feeling all nostalgic until I wondered if Haddie was trying to send Jenna down the river in that basket, and then noticed her feet firmly planted on her sister, holding her down in the other picture! :) Love it! But now I miss my sister....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Haddie looks like you when you were little...I always thought she looked like Jake until now. I don't think I have ever seen a picture of you when you were little...it's like a little Haddie :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can tell the Girls are very Happy

    ReplyDelete